Tuesday, December 11, 2012

christmas

I love Christmas.
It is my favorite holiday by far.
The month of December is filled with family gatherings, good food, laughter, memories, and generous hearts. I could thank a lot of people for making the holiday season so great but there is one person who makes Christmas time my favorite. That person is my Grandma Sandy. Each aunt, uncle, cousin, and sibling will agree. Grandma makes Christmas what it is. My grandma's spirit is everywhere. On every table, every decoration, the christmas carols, the memories, each detail, she is there. No one will understand but she makes Christmas magical. Our family traditions keep us close and remind us of the amazing person who influenced who we are today. Each Christmas eve before singing carols around her grave the girls in my family gather around the piano and sing the forgotten carols. It is the same song every year, tears are shed by all around, and grandma is there with us. Just hearing the song gives me chills and I am sure it does each member of my family. I can't wait for Christmas.

***
I cry the day
that I take the tree down
I want the season
To last all year round
And I'm dreaming of
Christmases when
We'll be together again

***

1 comment:

  1. Counting down the days until I hear this live. Thinking of Grandma Sandy this year. Love you.

    ReplyDelete